Course Outline: What You Will Cover
The ICI travel and tourism course has been designed in conjunction with industry representatives and helps you learn the skills you need to succeed within the industry quickly and conveniently.
- Tourism platforms
- Economic importance
- The concept of a system
- Transit region
- The destination
- The tourism industry
- The tourist
- The tourism system
- The Origin region
||The Development of Tourism
- Growth of tourism
- Post war tourism growth
- Destination image
- Global patterns of tourist distribution
- Regional patterns of tourist distribution
- Elements of a destination
- Tourist destinations
- Introduction to tourism product
- The tourism product
- Natural categories
- Cultural categories
- Interpretation of sites
- Festival and events
- The tourism industry
- Distribution systems
- The travel agent, tour operators and wholesalers
- Transport Accommodation
- Tourism Industry organisations
- Market segmentation
- Methods segmentation
||Economic Issues in Tourism
- The positive impacts of tourism
- Costs/negative impacts of tourism
- Australia’s tourism profile
- Economic issues in tourism
||Socio-cultural and Environmental Impacts
- Positive socio-cultural impacts
- Generation of waste
- Introduction to socio-cultural impacts
- Socio-cultural and environmental impacts
- Negative socio-cultural impacts
- Factors affecting impacts
- Dimensions of tourist-host encounters
- Authenticity Introduction to environmental impacts
- Positive and negative environmental impacts
- Permanent modification
- Tourist activities
- Components of planning
- Tourism planning
- Approaches to tourism planning
- Organisations involved in planning
- The role of government in tourism planning
- Planning in underdeveloped countries
- Food & wine tourism
- Alternative tourism
- Nature-based tourism & ecotourism
- Business tourism
- Cultural and heritage tourism
- Sports tourism
- Seniors tourism
- Indigenous tourism
- Cruise shipping
- International student and study tourism
- Medical/scalpel tourism
- Cycling tourism
- The dynamic nature of tourism
- The future
- Forces restricting and enabling world tourism growth
- Ecologically sustainable development
- Sustainable tourism
- The emergence of eco-tourism
||Receive & Process Reservations
- Receive reservation request
- Record details of reservation (manual and computerised)
- Update reservations
- Advise others on reservation details
||Access & Interpret Product Information
- Identify and access product information
- Interpret product information
||Sell Tourism Products Services
- Identify customer needs
- Suggest products to meet customer needs
- Follow up sales opportunities
||Source & Provide Destination Information & Advice
- General Destination Information
- Recording, Storing & Updating Destination Information
- Meeting Customer Needs for Destination Information
||Communicating Effectively With Tourists
- What is communication?
- Good communication in the tourism industry
- What to say to a tourist
- How to make a tourist feel welcome
- Talking on the telephone
- Communication in problem solving
||Setting Up a Tourist Business
- Looking after the tourist
- Why start a tourism business?
- Making the product, providing the service
- Promoting my business
- Being a good business person
How Will You Benefit?
- Fast track your career in travel and tourism
- Learn the inside secrets of how to become a travel and tourism pro in months not years!
- Study a travel and tourism course that was designed in conjunction with the travel and tourism industry
- Free up valuable time, don’t waste time and money travelling to classes
- Study at your own pace whenever and wherever you are
- Have access to a tutor who works in the industry you are training for
- Easy interest free payment plans from as low as $49 per week
Start reaping the benefits by enrolling today!
Ever thought about making holidays your life? If you love working with people this is the job for you. Start a vibrant and exciting career in travel and tourism! With the right credentials, you can gain excellent positions with the following types of organisations:
- Domestic airlines
- International airlines
- Retail travel agencies
- Wholesale travel agents
- Regional tourist information services
- Tourism marketing consultancies
- Inbound tour operators
- Theme parks and tourist attractions
- Coach tour companies
- Cruise lines
- Conference and incentive travel tour coordinators.
The earning potential of a travel and tourism consultant or manager depends greatly on the level of training and experience they have. Stating salaries are around $35.000 per annum. Travel and tourism managers at the more senior end of the industry can expect to earn $65.000 to $120.000 per annum. Your experience, the size and location of the establishment you are working for will naturally influence how much you earn. (Source: MyCareer & Seek)
Course Levels Explained
This course leads to the awarding of either a Diploma or Advanced Diploma depending on which level you enrol at. The different levels are achieved by the amount of course content and assessments involved at the Diploma and Advanced Diploma levels. You will be able to learn about what the difference is between the two levels below:
Recognises the graduates capacity for initiative and judgment across a broad range of technical and management functions. Diploma holders typically have personal responsibility and autonomy (semi-independence) in performing technical operations or organising others in the workplace.
The graduate is able to apply a significant range of principles and techniques across various contexts and functions. Graduates can expect to be involved in significant judgments, planning, and leadership/guidance functions related to workplace products, services, operations or procedures.
There are NO previous work or education requirements for entry into any course level. Students may enrol directly into the diploma or advanced diploma levels without completing lower ranked qualifications. Graduates can expect higher course levels to result in higher potential salary, positions and skill capabilities.
||Advanced Diploma Level
ICI courses allow you to study at your own pace with no assignment deadlines. This means that you determine the pace of the course and within which time period you will ultimately complete your studies in.
- Completing your course with ICI is flexible as you can fast-track and graduate in a matter of months. You complete activities and submit assignments whenever you are ready.
- The maximum time given to complete a program is three years.
Study Mode: Online Learning
This entire course is carried out via Distance Learning (also known as correspondence learning). Distance learning is ideal if you need to adapt around work, family, or other commitments. It is also extremely beneficial should you simply wish to fast track your studies (and career) and not be locked into a timetable.
Our course content and learning experience ensure that your course is relevant and interesting. Learning, tutorial assistance and assessments take place whenever and wherever you are in the country or world. It takes place at your own pace on your own terms to fit your lifestyle. As an ICI student, you’ll never endure a pop quiz, spend countless hours and hundreds of dollars travelling, and never be late with an assignment or for class.
Enrolments statistics reveal that students from the following categories are currently taking advantage of the distance learning experience at ICI:
- Government, business & industry employers 32%
- High school leavers 20%
- Individuals looking to start a business or change career paths 18%
- Individuals already in the industry looking to formalise and/or update knowledge and seek a promotion 11%
- Military personal 11%
- Stay at home mothers 8%
Recognition & Accreditation
This course is recognised and accredited by the International Association of Private Career Colleges (IAPCC). The courses offered by ICI are unique as they take a very “hands on” approach. Our courses are not designed to teach you just the “theory” behind the industry – they are written and tutored by industry professionals and will fast-track you into a new career of your choice.
Various government departments and business’s have enrolled their own staff with ICI for further training and development and is a strong indicator of acceptance and recognition by employers and industry.
The following is a partial list of companies and government departments which have enrolled or sponsored staff into ICI courses:
- Department of Defence
- State of Queensland
- Department of Tourism, Regional Development & Industry
- Department of Employment, Economic Development & Innovation
- Revenue SA (State of South Australia)
- Metcash Trading Ltd Australia (IGA)
- Navman Technologies
- Catholic Archdiocese of Brisbane
- Employment Directions Network / Department of Education & Training
- Queensland Compensation
- Calvin Klein
- John Paul College
- Darwin International Airport
- Mitsubishi Corporation
- Commonwealth Bank
- American Express
- Clayton UTZ
- Hennikers Solicitors
- Villari Lawyers
- Aviva Australia Holdings,
- Uniting Care Institute of Family Practice
- Federal Workplace Authority
- Centacare Employment Group
- Mission Australia
- MAX Employment
- Gunnebo Australia (Security)
- Brookfield Multiplex
- Coca-Cola Amitil
- Coles Myer Ltd
Already in the Profession or Industry?
This course and qualification is a great way of consolidating existing knowledge via Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), updating your industry skills and contributing towards your professional development. It is also one of the most practical steps you can take towards working towards gaining a promotion or better paid position.
Course fees can be claimed as a tax deduction as long as the course is sufficiently connected to your work activities.
What Do I Get?
All materials essential for course completion are included in the cost of the course fee. Upon enrolment, students receive:
- All required study materials and course notes
- Practical assignment projects with constructive tutor feedback
- Industry based tutor who will service all of your course and career questions and guidance needs
- Student ID card giving students access to thousands of discounts both at home and overseas! Save on transport, accommodation, communications, food, shopping, movies and more!
On successful completion of the course you will receive:
- A graduation certificate officially recognizing your successful completion of studies and qualifications as a travel and tourism consultant, manager or operator
- Transcripts indicating units completed
- Letter of recommendation and validation for current and future employers
- Post-nominal letters placed after your name which indicate that you hold the relevant qualification. For example: John Smith, DipTT
- Job search assistance: Graduate Career Services Program ( Click to learn more ).
Cut Off Date
is the next enrolment cut off date. Places are limited, in demand and entry into the course is on a first come first served basis.
Your enrolment is processed and acknowledged within 24 hours of the Institute receiving your application. You can expect to receive your course within days of enrolling. When you start your ICI course its at your own pace and you determine when you finish. Don’t miss out. Enrol today!
Course Investment & Payment Plans
How do I get started?
Click on one of the Enrol Now buttons below and you could be working on your first lesson – and towards a new career – in a matter of days!
|Monthly Instalment Plan
|Weekly Instalment Plan
||10% Off = $1450 ENROL NOW
||$531 x 3 months ENROL NOW
||$49 x 32 weeks ENROL NOW
||10% Off = $1880 ENROL NOW
||$689 x 3 months ENROL NOW
||$49 x 42 weeks ENROL NOW
ACT NOW and start pursuing your dream of becoming a qualified consultant, manager or operator in the travel and tourism industry
Simply click on one of the Enrol Now buttons that corresponds with the course level and payment plan you wish to select (see above table).